6 June 2017

Belhaven Black

This place recently seems to be veering toward becoming a beer review blog, but I like the images of everyday life within pubs, even though beer for me is not literally an "every day" event and is only ever one pint a day - well or on Sunday was two 330 ml bottles which is admittedly slightly over one pint. Anyway, I can report from today's research that Belhaven Black Scottish Stout is a perfectly acceptable beverage, but probably not one I would go to again, unless in a crisis, given the availability of plenty somewhat superior brews. I know that you needed to know that, or at least "Sean Jeating" did, probably.

8 comments:

Sean Jeating said...

Oh, thank you for this nicely put advice, dear Andrew. I shall avoid that stuff like the devil 'holy water'. :)

Andrew said...

Actually, I had another at the weekend. Do I damn it by describing it as "ok"?

Sean Jeating said...

Ok, I understand you are longing for / looking forward to a next crisis ... now and then. :)

Andrew said...

I had a choice between the Scottish and the Irish Sean... I chose to try the Scottish again. Hmm... Is this a developing crisis for the Irish? I may have to conduct further intensive research. I will pursue my investigations with dedication.

Sean Jeating said...

Ah, thus Belhaven Black is the Scottish Guinness?
Now I see a dream entertaining me tonight with us sitting together and talking ourselves from crisis to crisis, namely Belhaven Black.
[Suppose, that has once more been German English. However, to know that you would almost always understand me ...]

Andrew said...

The Scottish seems to have less "body" to it but is more refreshing. I grew more fond of it on my second trial. I suppose the choice may depend on the nature of the crisis, although the sensible option may be to have both... But then if Dark Island were also on offer... Hmm... By following what may seem the sensible option at the time we might soon become senseless.

Sean Jeating said...

Ha. 'You should give it at least a second trial', I was told when my wrinkled nose was noticed after the first pint of Guinness.
I did, enjoyed the second trial, and that was the beginning of a lifelong friendship.
As for Dark Island: I think I tried it once in Stromness, and retrospectively I wonder whether it does taste as nicely as does Raven Ale.
The peace of the night.

Andrew said...

I need to try this Raven Ale again - so much to do!